1 - Reuters
Saturday, 9 August 2008
2 - A relative of a U.S. men's volleyball coach was stabbed to death and another family member injured when a Chinese man attacked them at a popular tourist spot in Beijing on Saturday.
3 - The man killed was a U.S. citizen and the injured victim was an American woman, Beijing police said in a statement.
4 - "While at the Drum Tower in central Beijing, the two family members were stabbed during an attack by what local law enforcement authorities have indicated was a lone assailant. One of the family members was killed and the other seriously injured," the U.S. Olympic Committee said in a statement.
5 - "Following the attack, the assailant took his own life."
6 - A Chinese tour guide was also injured in the attack carried out by a Chinese man. Assaults on foreigners are rare in Beijing, site of the 2008 Olympic Games.
1 - Tang Yongming, 47, from the eastern city of Hangzhou, jumped to his death from the second storey of popular tourist spot Drum Tower after the incident, the official Xinhua news agency cited a Beijing city government spokesman as saying.
2 - "We need further investigation to find out the motive since the man has killed himself. We have no more information to provide for the moment," a spokesman for the Beijing Public Security Bureau said.
3 - A U.S. embassy spokeswoman confirmed the attack occurred shortly after noon, but did not reveal the identities of the victims or other details.
4 - "We're actively following the situation right now and U.S. Embassy officials are already at the hospital," a U.S. embassy spokeswoman said.
5 - She said embassy officials had been dispatched to the Beijing hospital where the surviving tourist, a woman, and the local tour guide had been rushed.
6 - Beijing has been calm in the run-up to the Summer Games, with security tight across the capital and thousands of security officials patrolling Games venues and streets.
7 - A crowd had gathered around the Drum Tower, in bustling central Beijing, which had been closed off by police.
The U.S. team are due to play their opening game against Venezuela on Sunday.
Source: The Independent
- Bất kỳ ai muốn dịch đều có thể tham gia;
- Có thể dịch cả bài, một phần, hoặc một vài câu trong phần nào đó, cũng có thể chỉ bình luận văn phong, ngữ pháp, cách dùng từ ... của các bài dịch khác;
- Để tiện theo dõi, hãy sử dụng hệ thống đánh số cho sẵn trong phần tiếng Anh: Part A, B, C ...; các số thứ tự 1, 2, 3, ... hoặc PA1, PA2, ..., PB1, PB2, ...;
- Để post bài, hãy sử dụng phần "Bình luận" dưới mỗi đoạn văn đã cho. Nếu phần dịch dài, hãy post làm hai lần để phòng mất dữ liệu;
- Sau khi post, bài sẽ được Pi C&E xuất bản, nếu nội dung nằm trong phạm vi cần dịch;
- Sau 7-10 ngày, Pi C&E sẽ có bài dịch của mình để mọi người tham khảo.
- Mọi người có thể chọn gửi cho Pi C&E các bài báo tiếng Anh làm bài tập dịch theo địa chỉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Các bài báo không nên quá dài và quá chuyên sâu về một lĩnh vực nào đó.
NÀO BẮT ĐẦU THÔI